Wednesday, February 5, 2014

#LifeofaMuslimFeminist



After an evanescent period of epiphany and two splendid literary pieces
I find myself yet again 
Returning to the place where sun rays do not disseminate into creases
I keep wondering, day in, day out

What it means to be a woman
In a day and age
Where some cunts are pierced
While others are mutilated by matrons on the streets
Where menstruals arrive
Like a death sentence
Nine months are spent in hope and anticipation
That the fetus within 
Will be rightly "equipped"
For his patriarchal coronation
Which is sure to be a most joyous occasion
Accompanied by shrieking unanimous ululations 

Legs are spread wide open
The doctor announces “It’s a girl”
Never mind progress here
You know that at least a part of her character, if not all, will be stolen
Why do we have to choose between being Muslims and being feminists?
My back can no longer withstand the load
Of bearing titles such as a “libertine atheist”
All because I refuse to believe that this faith
This faith of MINE
Erects pedestals of righteousness
For men who only think with their erections
They keep violently imposing on me
A disillusioned faith
That is measured
By what covers my hair and the top of my waist
I want
No I NEED
More heroic religious shes
And maybe just a little less festering beards
You see, in my Utopia of broken dreams
Faith is as what is chanted by whirling Sufis
They say, “Ours is not a caravan of despair”
They say, “Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again”
I am a woman
I am a Muslim
I am a feminist
Come, walk a mile in my shoes
Then I wonder if you’ll keep fictionalizing my burdens and struggles
Which I have long ago learned to live with and accept
As my eternally damned truths.
Sarah Maple "Badass Muslimahs"



No comments:

Post a Comment